Thanks to all the Society photographers who submitted images for the 2018 Lighthouse Society Calendar contest! Given the response to and enthusiasm for the 2017 contest and 2018 calendar, the Society is pleased to announce that we are repeating the contest (with a few adjustments) in 2018 to make a 2019 calendar. This year we are offering seven categories for submissions, spread out over the next six months, using an online submissions system.
The first submission category is WEATHER. So get out those cameras and venture outside to capture your favorite lighthouse in its winter landscape or dig out your favorite fog or storm photo from years past. The deadline for submitting your WEATHER image is February 28, 2018.
Each member can submit one image per category. Each category will have a separate submissions form.
- Participating photographers must be active members of the U.S. Lighthouse Society. (Renew or join at uslhs.org/membership.)
- Digital submissions only.
- Submission Format: Please submit your image as a JPG or TIF, that is at least 8 1/2 by 11-inches, and at a minimum of 300 dpi. Smaller images are not suitable for the final printed product.
- File Name: Include “lighthouse name,” “state,” “year taken,” and “photographer name” in the file name of your photo. For example: “Jones Point VA 2017 by Candace Clifford”
- Submit only photos that you have taken.
- Photos must be unrestricted. Unless you instruct the Society otherwise, by submitting images to this project, you are giving your permission for the Society to use your image in social media and printed publications. You may specify on the submission form whether or not it can be included in the Society’s digital archive.
- Some preference will be given to images with a landscape orientation. It is permissible to create a file in a landscape orientation using two portrait images. (Do not send two images; combine the images into one before submitting.)
- Photographers 17 years old or younger should provide the name of a parent or guardian on the submission form.
Submission Categories (all photos should relate to light stations, aids to navigation, lightships, or USCG facilities)
- Weather (submission starts January 20, ends February 28)
- Reflection or Unusual Perspective (submission starts February 15, ends March 30)
- Sunrise / Sunset (submission starts March 15, ends April 30)
- Technology (submission starts April 15, ends May 30)
- Detail or Abstract (submission starts May 15, ends June 30)
- Landscape (submission starts June 15, ends July 31)
- Preservation Project or Special Event (submission starts July 15, ends August 30)
Finalists will be chosen by a review panel for each category. Images for the printed calendar will be selected from the finalists. Each finalist will receive a free calendar. Calendars will be available for purchase in the Keeper’s Locker and should be distributed in late October 2018.
Submitted by Candace Clifford, 01/20/2018
* * * * *
U.S. Lighthouse Society News is produced by the U.S. Lighthouse Society to support lighthouse preservation, history, education and research. Please join the U.S. Lighthouse Society if you are not already a member. If you have items of interest to the lighthouse community and its supporters, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.